Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Book Review: Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell

If you love books about sweet teen romance, than you will love Eleanor & Park. For me though, I think I prefer a little more than romance in the books I read.

Don't get me wrong. I really loved Eleanor & Park. It's very well written, the characters are interesting and easy to become attached to. The romance is verrrrry slow -- if you aren't a fan of "insta-love" in books, then you will be very happy with Eleanor & Park. This romance is almost frustrating in its painfully slow development -- almost.

Nothing happens in Eleanor & Park except the romance. Yes, we learn about Eleanor's totally dysfunctional family, and she is being bullied at school. Yes, we also learn about Park's parents and their almost perfect relationship. But none of that has anything to do with the plot of Eleanor & Park. It's all about this unlikely romance.

The ending is perfect. You get the feeling all through the book that things are eventually going to explode in Eleanor's life. But, I really like the way it all went down.

So, as I said at the beginning -- this is a stellar, one might even say "perfect," romance. I'm glad I read Eleanor & Park, and I have a lot of students I can offer it to. I enjoyed the reading experience, but I couldn't read two of these types of books in a row. I'm just not a "teen romance" kind of person. I prefer my romance as a secondary story line. Or at least, I need other secondary story lines besides the romance. Personal opinion only. For the type of book this is, it's one of the best I've ever read.

Published by St. Martin's Griffin, February 26, 2013
Copy obtained from the library
325 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I glad you enjoyed this one despite the heavy romance plot. For me that's what drew me to think book. I haven't read it yet but it's on my list to read next month. I've heard so much about Rowell and with the controversy of this book last month, I'm even more curious to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to reading this one, but every time I go to the school's library a student has it checked out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is on my December TBR! I enjoy romance very much but, like you, I enjoy some sort of secondary plot. With that being said, I did enjoy another teen novel with heavy romance, Anna and the French Kiss, and while that one had little-to-no secondary plot, it was one of my favorite books this year. I am hoping that when I get to this one in the next week or so, I feel the same way about it. Great review! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...