Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green @realjohngreen

The Fault in Our Stars tore me apart. I'm not a crier--when a book gets to me, I usually get watery eyes. With this book I was sobbing out loud -- and not only at the end, but for much of the book. I had to clean my contacts -- they got so cloudy, I couldn't read. I remember crying this hard when I read The Notebook. I read one other Sparks book after that and decided never again. I don't like books that do this to me (not that The Fault in Our Stars  is anything like The Notebook.)

So, besides the crying this was a great story. I loved Hazel's voice. And when combined with Augustus, there were many touching and funny moments. I'm glad that we meet Hazel long after her diagnosis. This isn't about learning to deal with  cancer -- she is already doing this when we meet her. It's a romance -- under special circumstances.

I loved that The Fault in Our Stars was a problem novel with useful parents. They weren't out of the picture like we see in so many contemporary books. I loved that Hazel was intelligent and liked to read. The main story line (other than the "kid with cancer" one) is that Hazel wants to meet the author of her favorite book because he didn't tie up all the loose ends -- and she wants to know. We've all been there, right? But the author is a recluse and won't even answer her mail until Augustus comes along.

The slow developing romance was sweet and believable. I did anticipate the ending pretty early in the story, but it really doesn't matter. It doesn't come as a huge surprise, given the circumstances. The characters are so genuine, not over-the-top, as is the tendency when covering a heavy topic like cancer. Of course, this is not unexpected from John Green.

There have been so many rave reviews of The Fault in Our Stars, most of them much better than this one, so I'll just quit. Like everyone says, get out your tissues. I was really glad to finish The Fault in Our Stars, but I'm really glad I read it. I can easily recommend it to many teens in my library.

Published by Dutton Juvenile, January 10, 2012
Copy obtained from the library
313 pages (qualiifes for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Rating: 5/5




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

9 comments:

  1. Your review is pretty much spot on. I just died reading this book, but in a good way. I loved it, so happy you did as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book, too. It's the combination of sad and funny moments that makes the story feel so real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, you have made me want to read it, an emotional teary book, i'm in. I was like that with Notebook too, lol.

    This sounds like a great YA read and the parents are present, bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you liked this one! I read it when it came out and I read it very quickly because I wanted to finish it before I went to his book signing so now I don't remember as much of it as I wish I did. I knew I was going to cry going into this one but Green is such a sincere writer that I never felt like he was playing up the drama to make people cry which is something that I feel when I read Sparks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I really need to pick up this book soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I loved about this book was the main teenager wasn't a whiny brat, and that the parents were actually exemplary adults. It's so refreshing to come across a book that puts parent's in a good light these days! :)

    I quite agree with you, dearie! I'm not really a teary person...but this book did wring out the tears. My...Green really got to me.

    Thanks for the great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what I'm still waiting for. Need to get it ASAP! If a book made you cry like that, it has to be something special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read this one. I think I'm the only one who hasn't read a John Green novel before. This one sounds absolutely amazing. Hopefully I don't cry or get teary-eyed... I've never cried in a book before!

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should get on my way of reading this book! It's not just any book! It's The Fault in Our Stars! I do not mind shedding tears. And since I'm a robot, I am putting it to the test. It's just...well...this book is pretty famous, and...well....I don't want to feel disappointed. I hope I don't because I saw a nice copy at the library waiting for me to pick up. XD

    regards,
    dwayne of Tony Lama Boots

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...